Saturday 29 May 2010

Bad Lieutenant - Port of Call: New Orleans

The only Werner Herzog films I'd seen before this one were the extraordinary documentaries Grizzly Man and Encounters at the end of the World. So this is the first feature film of his I've seen and I am unable to compare it with his previous output. Nor have I seen the original Abel Ferrara version of Bad Lieutenant. So my impression of this film may be offered either positively, as being baggage-free or, negatively, as being ill-informed. I leave that to my reader to judge.

The story is of Nic Cage's eponymous corrupt cop, newly-promoted and charged with investigating the murder of a drug dealer and his young family soon after the Katrina disaster. His girlfriend is a prostitute and, like him, a cocaine addict. Cage's character becomes increasingly demented, the various strands of his life tightening around him, like the tentacles of a cruel but efficient predator, as he tries to escape them.

The resolution of all this is both surprising and surprisingly satisfying. Along the way, there are some bizarre and superb individual scenes, mostly involving Cage's character in one or another drug-induced, highly emotional state, fraternising with his police colleagues, the criminals with whom he becomes increasingly complicit, and his alcoholic ex-cop father.

Nic Cage's cop is a great film character, a mass of contradictions who makes the film what it is. The bad lieutenant and The Bad Lieutenant are amoral but sweet, violent but fun, occasionally frightening but - most importantly - highly entertaining. 


8 comments:

  1. Why don't you embed the trailer? They are almost always available on you tube

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't like embedding, it slows page loads. Easy enough to find the trailer if you want it. Thanks for stopping by! Good to know it's being read. Or being looked at, anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to seeing this, love Herzog and really want to see him turn the original upside down.

    Try and watch Ferrara's version, part of what attracts me to this is that Herzog has taken a very serious, highly regarded cinema masterpiece and turned into a mental comedy. It's a glorious piece of cinematic blasphemy.

    BTW Herzog's Fitzcoraldo is on telly tonight, it's an amazing film.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn, I really want to see that, and I didn't see your comment til today! Oh well, I'll have to put it on my Love Film list when I sign up.

    Will be very interested to hear your views on Bad Lieutenant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way, Ben, it's six months since you last updated your blog! Are you going to write more?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, definitely, I intend to pick it up properly again as things will slow down for Quiet Earth now until Frightfest in August. One of the problems is that I'm struggling on a review of I Spit On Your Grave, it's a tough one to write about...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, a complex movie, both absurdly crass and yet totally fascinating. I look forward to your post on it. Heard any more about the remake?

    I was thinking of coming down for Frightfest, if tickets are still available.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tickets aren't even on sale yet so you should be fine! i'll keep you posted

    ReplyDelete